<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 28, 2006

SAGGER CULTURE

When did "you're welcome" become "no problem"?

"Thank you for calling back" "No problem"

"I appreciate your giving me a lift". "No problem".

The problem is the lack of grace in the exchange.

Yeh, grace. That's what I said.

When someone replies "You are welcome", there is a small gift enclosed in the statement; the person's willingness to be of service or be kind.

"No problem", on the other hand, is a null. A zero sum.

It is the new form of the old "it was nothing" which was kind of a slam and, if said with a bit of sneer, an insult.

It says that the person did it but it didn't mean much or it was done grudgingly.

What about "it is my pleasure"?

How about "I was glad to do it"?

So. "No fucking prob-a-lem" used to be a joke.

No more.

I am not sure when this started but I first noticed it a few years ago; common among the uneducated and uncivilized. "Hey, Bro, Yo! No problem".

Now it is everywhere.

The barbarians were at the gates and someone let them inside.

I blame teevee sitcoms and trash movies.

They have contributed more nitwit 'catch phrases' to general discourse than any other medium.

Don't people listen to themselves anymore?

What every happened to original thought and talk?

The whole world has become a walking cliché.

I would like to blame the execrable rap/hip hop culture but that is lower than low with the intentional mispellings and all.

'Ho'. Indeed.

I knew that I would reach the age when I despaired of what the universe was coming to.

Here I am.

Oh. Saggers are the ones who let their pants run down around their ass and have their hats on backwards or sideways.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?