<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

LIFE CYCLE

Many biking mornings I pass a guy who I have known for years; first at Gold's Gym and now, on the road.

I have to admit that I don't know his name. Such are the relationships in the world of fitness. He is the 'bald guy, with the mustache, the one who does real estate appraisal work at home'. You know. That guy.

Anyway, many mornings I pass this guy and we wave and shout some inane shit.

"Hey how ya doing, you'll have a headwind on the way back". Or some such.

What I would like to yell is "get a fucking helmet and take off those stupid earphones"!

He doesn't wear a helmet and he cannot hear the traffic behind him because he is listening to some crap that has nothing to do with the bike or the whole scene.

There are a lot of people who don't wear the helmet. Most of them are also the type who are vulnerable; just able to make it up the hill, wobbly, just barely comprehending the world they are traversing. You know. Numb nuts.

When I first got my bike out here I was immediately made to have a helmet from my family. Now I am a fervent supporter.

The kid at the bike shop told me that his dad got hit by a car going 40 mph and the helmet saved his life as he landed on his head.

And the earphones. I don't get it. I never have. Here we are, out in the natural world. Birds twitter, the wind sings through your ears (and helmet) and you are missing it. To say nothing of the safety angle. Look and listen, Lance!

And while we are at it, get a bell. That is for the people that you are scaring the bejeezus out of as you come up behind them. Give them a break.

Do you know that I have people who thank me for ringing it?

Yup.

And get a helmet, huh?


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?