<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 14, 2006

SHELLEY

Shelley Winters 1921 or 23 to 2006

I loved Shelley Winters. She was a great actress who finally shook her original blond bombshell image and became a highly respected and awarded pro.

My best film memory is of seeing her in an art cinema in, of all places, Richmond, Virginia, when I was in the Army at nearby Fort Lee. She was starring in a film version of Genet's The Balcony and she was a memorable force.

Well, it was almost 50 years ago and I remember.

Here is her NYTimes obituary:

Shelley Winters, Tough-Talking Oscar Winner, Dies

I like that she had no secrets; two autobiographies and she told all. And she had a great life to tell about. Read the whole obit.

I like this story:

Ms. Winters and Mr. Holden had a "Same Time, Next Year" relationship, meeting in his Paramount dressing room on Christmas Eve for five years.
The photo is with John Garfield, another favorite of mine. It is from a potboiler called He Ran All The Way.

They both went on to be great stars.

She had 130 film credits. That's a lot!!


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?