<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 26, 2006

HUMMER REDUX

Just as I finished writing about the humming birds this morning, two of them plowed into our dining room slider.

This happens about once a year.

I think that the news spreads and the rest of them take care.

So there were the two bodies. On their backs. No motion.

Then slight twitching.

Ten minutes. One is upright.

Another ten minutes. Both are upright.

Ten more minutes and the first one up flies away. The second one stays and sits.

I agonize.

I wait.

I ask for John's opinion. Franklin and I need to go out but I don't want him after the downed bird.

So. I give in.

I go out with a paper towel; gives traction and it doesn't scare the bird as much as fingers.

I gently pick the bird up. A little prayer to do the right thing.

It is looking at me.

I decide to put it up on the wall in the sun. There it goes. And woooooosh! It flies up into the tree over the fountain; then down to take a drink.

They almost always survive. They act punchy for awhile but then recover.

Hummers. What fun.

One got in the house once and stood up on the ledge of the skylight. I watched Celia, our houselady, reach up and take it in her hand and then outdoors. The paper towel. Celia's solution.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?