<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 17, 2005

NBA

Not the National Basketball Association.

I mean that award thing.

Books

This year's awards passed more or less silently without a lot of controversy. As it should be.

The idea of juries awarding anything is ludicrous.

I say this because the only book on the list that I read is only slightly better than mediocre; Doctorow's The March

Besides, it is fashionable to point out that this is all foolishness.

I like the people who won't kow-tow to it all.

I only found out today that when Thomas Pynchon won it, he sent Professor Irwin Corey to receive the award on his behalf.

I hope that you know who Corey is (as well as Pynchon) and that you have heard or seen him.

I would give my left nut to have been there.

I am delighted to see that he is still alive and working!

Corey. We don't know about Pynchon and that is as it should be.

I am a firm believer that the less we know about a writer the better. Actors too. All of them.

"By their works shall thee know them" and forget the awards already.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?