<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, November 19, 2005

HAMLETATHON

I am watching two productions of Hamlet in two days. Both are NYTimes 1176 Best Films.

Today was the first restored Olivier version from 1948.

I am sure that I saw this when it was first out; a school assigned movie trip. I remember a lot of bored kids in a dark auditorium.

I think that killed Shakespeare for me.

But, after 57 years of acculturation, it seems I have mellowed a bit. I didn't hate it.

I am still not a Shakespeare fan and couldn't understand half the words; but I did my best. At least I didn't hit the FF button.

The restoration is superb.

There isn't much point in going through the story, is there?

The music was by William Walton, who I like a lot. It is mostly incidental and trivial. John thought the supporting actors were weak.

Olivier, on the other hand, is not to be missed in anything; no matter how obtuse and overblown.

I will give it a 3 out of Netflix5 so they don't put me in the classical theater 'recommendations' algorithm.

Tomorrow we watch the Mel Gibson version (gulp).

I ordered the Ethan Hawk mod version but it is not yet on DVD. I saw it in the theaters. You could understand every single word.

Too bad we cannot see it at the same time. It is not on the 'Best' list.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?