<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 21, 2005

92

Franklin and I rounded a corner today and way way way at the other end were two guys.

One of them was waving his hands and gesturing vehemently to the other.

From the distance of a long block, I knew.

It was Leo!

I had not seen him in a year or so.

Leo is one of those people you get to know if you stay on the same loops with the bike or on a walk. You don't get to be phone call friends or anything but you stop and chat quickly and then move on.

The last time I had seen him he had made the age of 90 and was working on 91.

But when I didn't see him for awhile, I assumed he was no longer with us; dead.

But no, as we got closer, it was surely Leo. Leo here and in the flesh.

We said hi and hello and all that. We couldn't hug because Franklin was very lively and jumpy. You don't want an airedale jumping on a nonagenerian.

And, of course, he told me that he was 92!

I had not done the math. With Leo the math is not required. He always volunteers his age. I would too.

It was great to see him but I missed the hug. He has a grip that you would not believe. He grabs your arm and pulls you in. Killer.

I think maybe he has lost some weight but he is very lively and in great shape. He had his big black shorts and a white tee.

All the time we talked he waved his hands and pumped the air. And smiled! A mile wide.

What a great guy.

I want to be like Leo when I grow up.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?