<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

BEST F'ING FILMS

Did you notice that we turned a corner today?

I am in the 'F's of the NY Times Best 1176 Films.

Time to refresh oldtimers and inform newcomers.

The New York Times movie critics have published two 'Best' lists in five years. The lists are not the same. Melded together they add up to 1176 films; hence the number.

Best of what? Best foreign and American films since sound.

What am I doing? I am watching them all!!!

Why? Because I like lists and am an obsessive person. Also, there are a number of films on this list (half? 558?) that I have never seen and a lot that I would like to see again.

This seemed like a good way as any to do it.

So. I am committed. Or obsessed.

And for the most part, I am committed enough to watch them all without exception.

Face/Off is the second film I have aborted. The first was Blue Velvet but at least with that one, I did the FF thing and dipped and looked as it 'unfolded'. It actually more or less regurgitated.

I have found that it is a mistake to skip because of 'feelings' about the film; even memories. I have surprised myself several times; so I march on relentlessly. John allows himself to not watch or to walk. I stay and watch. All of them. Except as I indicated.

You now know how bad I thought these were.

People ask me how near done I am. Well, I have seen three pages out of ten of the list.

That has taken a year I think. No MORE. I just looked. I started the alphabetical thing in March of 2004. So it has been a year and a quarter; fifteen months.

At this rate, I will be through the Best Films in 35 months; nearly three years; 2008.

It will probably be more because I will be interspersing with mini-festivals.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?