<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

CRUSADES

I am as incensed as any lefty would be about the encroachment of church into state but I have to remember that this tension has always been around. When I was a town meeting moderator I created a sensation by dropping the invocation and the 'lord's' prayer from the meeting. I got by though.

When I was a kid the church was everywhere. I remember a lot of church shows on tee-vee. Bishop Sheen was on in prime time. The Elmer Gantry types were rampant.

We said the prayer in school and the school hosted religous classes after hours. There was not a whimper about it. Christ was everywhere.

I am not saying that things now are OK. It is still a fight. The churched cannot rest until the un-churched are converted. But in perspective, I have to remember that the good guys have always won on this and seem to be doing OK today.

Sooner or later the televangelist and the demagogue step on their own cranks and do themselves in.

But, like the undead, they rise to strike again. It is a constant battle. Too many christians and not enough lions. An old but apt joke.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?