<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 07, 2005

CROONER

The mockingbirds were out last night. They sing their hearts out to win the contest. Best song gets the ladies.

At this time of year they are on 24/7. When Franklin and I went out to pee this morning we were serenaded to a faretheewell. I whistled back. But no takers.

The mockingbird never or rarely repeats the song. He is an innovator. And he will mock a human whistle if you get it in the groove.

I say 'he' because the females mostly have a squawk. It is a nice feminine squawk but always the same and not alluring. At least to me. But I am of a different orientation.

The mockingbird is our most ubiquitous bird. They are aggressive and will run a raven away from their nests. They are friendly and are not easily spooked by humans or Airedales. They are great neighbors.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?