<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 10, 2005

ROUTED

Did you notice? We were 'down' for about 24 hours.

I tried to go on line yesterday afternoon and (gasp) nothing. I did the usual reboot the cable modem, then the router, then the computer. No dice.

I called my TimeWarner 'experts'. They 'saw' me from their HQ and reset my modem. No results. A stumper! They forwarded me to Earthlink. I will spare you the shit with the voice mail and all.

No prob-a-lem with the modem. Nothing at all wrong at Earthlink (a nice non-American working hard to let me believe he was sitting in Topeka and not New Delhi).

Panic. The local service company doesn't do Macs anymore since the guy I have used quit. I couldn't roust him. The Apple listed service rep has a very angry voice mail that says the PS government is holding up his grand opening. Depression.

Then John remembers that a friend had a guy who he was very Mac-happy with. I gave him a call.

He was here this morning and trouble-shot his way through five levels to identify that our router had expired or gone gonzo. We got a new one in line; Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless.

Did I mention that I also have a laptop? It is wireless and the router wireless beats the shit out of my Mac Airport which is kinda old.

All is forgiven TimeWarner and Earthlink. Your long and tedious routine of getting to someone human to talk to is forgotten. And thanks to 'Dillon' in New Delhi.

It seems that the new router is faster. Is that possible?

Anyway the main thing here is that we found a new reliable, responsive, professionally behaving resource person to work with. Whew. It was a long time coming. If we lived out on the other side of the mountain there is lots of choice, even Apple Stores and genius counters. Not here in the desert hinterlands.

Did you miss me? C'mon. Tell the truth.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?