<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

MEN

Today's movie was Diner (1982).

The dilemma of being a straight male at the end of the 60's is beautifully rendered in Barry Levinson's first 'Baltimore' movie.

How do you move from your best buddies to the bonds of a love relationship. Actually, while I was confused myself at the time, it applies to hets and gays alike.

Come to think of it, the problem still persists. I have some young friends who are having the same problem today. Timeless. Perennial.

The movie just flows along with a minimum of plot. If you have been to Baltimore and get the ethos then it is a double treat. Just think french fries and gravy. At one point they drove by a building that I had been in in the 60's, the American Can Plant. The company no longer exists. I suspect the same is true of the building.

A lot of young stars got started in this film. Look at them. The photo does not include the wonderful Ellen Barkin who plays the first wife to get one of the buddies.\; a dubious achievement.

A NY Times Best 1176 Film, I will rate it a 4 out of Netflix5.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?