<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 21, 2005

DYLAN DOC

I have always been rather cool about Bob Dylan. I just could or would not connect with him. That makes today's NY Times Best 1176 Film all the more successful as I was captivated by the man and his scene(s):
Don't Look Back (1966).

Of course, virtually everything depends on D. A. Pennebaker's groundbreaking documentary style. No narration; all unobtrusive hand held 16 mm photography, and more. They took twenty hours of film and reduced it to 96 minutes.

Additional pleasures in the film are to see Joan Baez, Dylan's girlfriend at the time, and Alan Price of the Animals who is hanging out with Dylan for the entire film. Albert Grossman, Dylan's manager, is shown with the business side. Also glimpses of Allen Ginsburg, Marianne Faithfull, John Mayall, and others.

It is fascinating. Did I say that already? No. I said it was captivating. Not too redundant.

I liked it very much and will give it a 5 out of Netflix5.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?