<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 27, 2005

MORTAL

I am not much of a fan of architecture but I live with an architect so some appreciation of it all has rubbed off. He notes, at times, that I am a visual illiterate. I would agree with that.

So it is no surprise that I am mostly interested in the business mechanics and the people. Among the latter is a man who, until today, I regarded as immortal.

Philip Johnson died yesterday at 98. There is complete coverage including a great slide show in the NY Times today.

For my money, Johnson gets his points for being a charismatic tough guy. He had a long contentious life. He stood up for stuff. He was an institution.

He was also openly and sometimes flamboyantly gay. He won't go down as an advocate for gay rights or anything but he is living proof that if you shove it in their face and do your work, they will leave you alone. Of course, they will talk about you but that was Johnson's thing; to be talked about.

As for the 'immortal' part, there are a few old farts who keep on going until a late age. I want to emulate them.

A lot of the time, I think that I am immortal too. But, when one of the great ones dies, I am reminded that I am not. I will settle for second best then. Live as long and as tough as possible. Shove it in their face if you have to; but do your service and have a good time.

Incidentally, Johnson died in his famous glass house. It is all glass. I think he lived in it all his life that he owned it. Look at it. You would have to be tough to live in the open like that.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?