<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 24, 2005

GOODNIGHT JOHNNY

1925-2005

Johnny Carson was not a big part of my later life, but there is a segment there where I watched him a lot. As most people, I found myself drawn to his integrity. He was funny. He had a good show. And, you felt a kind of strength and purpose behind his work. He had principles; values.

I learned about retiring on time from him; not overstaying one's welcome. I was enormously impressed with his discipline in staying out of the limelight. It continues. There will not be a memorial service.

Someone wrote that we lost him twice; when he retired so completely, and now.

I liked Art Fern and Carnac. I enjoyed the monologues. It was fun to watch him work the guests. He gave a lot of new talent its start.

I understand that he was a tough guy too. He had opinions. He didn't let people push him around. Good for him.

Emphesema is no fun. But there were no press releases. No self pity excursions. He did it all and finished it all with grace and dignity.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?