<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

ESTEEM

For a long time, I have thought that all the fuss about self esteem was bunk. I have noticed that a lot of people with high SE are a pain in the ass. I have seen enough low SE people use it as an excuse as well as a weapon.

In any event, it is one of those catch phrase pop-psych things that support a major industry of self help books and seminars. The school systems are clogged with its myth-ticism.

My worry is not so much that it does any direct harm. It is a diversion; a waste of time which could be used for grabbing your bootstraps and getting on with it.

This article from the LA Times covers the matter of self esteem, low or high, in the proper perspective and shows some data to support my long term hunches.

Take a look at The Lowdown on High Self-Esteem: Thinking you're hot stuff isn't the promised cure-all.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?