<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 20, 2005

DEAD HORSE

So the head of the House Ways and Means, a Republican, says that the prez' reform of SS is a 'dead horse'.

Perhaps, but I will believe it when I see it carried out to the boneyard.

For people interested in this sort of thing, there is a discussion of why SS reform is dead in The New Republic On-Line. I do not know if you have to be a subscriber to read: Boomerang.

What it says in essence is that the goopers are hoist on their own petard. They have sufficiently pissed the Demos who went a long with them when junior was all bi-partisan and working his reputation as a uniter in Texas (2000—remember)? They got double crossed and will not do it again.

Not only that, but the very Democrats who got gerrymandered out in Texas are gone. They were co-opters. Delay may have won the battle and lost the war. The gooperlike Senators who have retired (Robb, Breaux) are all sucking on the lobby tit and not available for cross aisle voting.

By way of followup; the other day, I was all exercised because I had read in blogland about the Social Security Administration, a non-political outfit, was cranking up propaganda for the bushie proposals. I whipped out a letter of complaint to the SSA on their website.

In all fairness, I should say I got this email today:

The following is a quote from Jo Anne Barnhart, Commissioner of Social
Security regarding Social Security reform:

"Thank you for your inquiry. There has been a lot of misinformation in the
media lately and I am glad to have this opportunity to set the record
straight. I have never, nor will I ever, ask or direct Social Security
employees to promote or advance any specific proposal for Social Security
reform. Our job at Social Security is to provide services and benefits and
to educate the American public about the programs and finances of Social
Security. Again, thank you for your inquiry. We look forward to continuing
to serve you. "

I hope. I will be watching the mails.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?