<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, January 30, 2005

CIMINO

I finished The Deer Hunter today and it was suprisingly rewarding and stirred up a lot of emotions; more than I expected.

I did a lot to shield myself. I can be such a sissy. I took a phone call. I talked a bit with John. It made no difference. Within a moment I was back in and swept away with it.

It is quite a picture. I will give it a 5 out of Netflix5.

Which brings us to Michael Cimino who never made another movie as good as this one. That is the conventional wisdom.

Given carte blanch after Deer Hunter's great success, he went on to make the infamous Heaven's Gate which flopped dramatically. It was universally panned and pulled from theaters after three days.

Oddly, there are people who have seen it in recent years who say it is not that bad; a few think it ranks even more highly. It is not on the NYTimes 1176, but I am going to get it and have a look for myself. It is on top of my 'queue' at Netflix. Soon.

Oh. The guy I link to above gives a totally different review of Hunter. Interesting. He wanted it to be about politics instead of people. He didn't get De Niro's character at all. And so on. Scroll down if you wanna see a rant.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?