<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

BALLS

I am trying to stay away from any inaugural coverage. I don't want to even think about it. 40 million and counting. But, it didn't cost the taxpayers anything. It is being paid for by special interests--whoops--private donors.

Yeh, that isn't going to cost me anything.

And they are honoring the troops, just like those little magnetic loops on people's cars honor the troops. What horseshit. Well. That is my inaugural coverage. I am not even going to bother finding an 'image' for this one. We don't call them pictures anymore; images.

FOUR WINDS

When I was a runner, they used to tell us to run out against the wind and run back with it. The idea is that you will have more oomph going out than you do coming back. Also, if it is an icy wind, it won't be blowing on your sweaty front. Your back would be running away from the wind and it doesn't sweat as much anyway.

Same principle now that I am a bike rider.

Trouble is, where we live, there are four winds. No matter which way we go, it is going to be against the wind; going or coming. The reason for this is that we live in a mess of hills and mountains. When there is any breeze at all, the irregular terrain forms eddies and those come and go in all directions. It is good exercise, but tough to follow the wind rule.

No matter which way we go, we are always facing into the wind; going or coming. It is good exercise though.

COMPETITION

While I am thinking about biking. Yesterday, I was cruising along and suddenly a guy in black passed me; on the right, no less. No bell, no hello, no nothing. I let out a whoop as it startled me.

Normally, I take this kind of thing for granted. There are a lot of bikers here. But none are discourteous or as risky as passing silently on the right.

Well, OK, I was probably doping off. I was thinking about whether to take a right turn, up the golf course parking lot hill for an added bump. Good that he wasn't passing just as that happened. It makes his infraction worse in a way. Didn't he know what I was thinking? Shithead.

But even worser than that, when I looked at him, I realized that he was an old guy; maybe my age. That did it. OK to pass on the wrong side; OK to sneak up. Not OK to be going faster than me in the same age bracket. I turned on the steam. Drag racing on bikes.

I quickly realized this guy was on gears and there was no way I could really catch him. That irked me more. I worked it for awhile than let go of it.

Gotta watch those hot-dog geezers on their gears going for speed rather than safety. Amazed that I still have that competitive thing going after all this time. I wanted to kick his ass.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?