<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 29, 2004

OVER

I am done with christmas. The cards are addressed, signed, sealed and stamped. Done. Finished. Period.

It wasn't too bad. We have fought out almost all the 'duds' that used to lurk in the list. I did manage to get the born-again cousin off; the one who sends churchy rants based on the fire and brimstone jesus. I suspect a bit of mojo is in there to cure our homo-ness. There are usually sparkles on the cards; a little anti fairy dust?

There used to be people that we met at various resorts; people that he would want to send cards to no matter what. Well, I suppose there was a chance that some of them would return at the same time next year and, if they did, you would want to be at least in good standing. Or better, it would be a one-up to send a card if they did not.

We went to St. Croix for many years; same time, same place, a lot of the same people. Surprisingly, ten years down the road we still exchange cards with one person who we met there. Oddly, he was the least likely of the bunch. One cannot predict.

We have another couple we met here when we would come for vacation. One of them had a lot of ooomph for John or at least he remembers him that way. I try to get them off the list each year and I was really getting some traction when, goddam, if they didn't come out here again and called to have dinner. We went. The oooomph was gone, but it is still impossible to get their names off the list.

The attachment to sending and getting the cards is really strong. It is easy for me to say that I am the one who wants to cut the list but I have to admit that if John disappeared I would probably keep sending to the same list. I would at least have to tell them that he had disappeared. Then I would probably get all sentimental like and keep sending them. I would cut those oomph guys off the list though. Summarily.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?