<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 29, 2004

COLD

I know that this seems really wimpy; but, it is very cold here. There has been a jet stream trend that keeps on coming and brings Alaskan air into Southern California.

Last weekend we had the lowest snowfall that anyone here remembers. By that, I mean that the snow on the mountains got down as low as 1500 feet in spots. We, of course, had rain. But there were two feet of snow on top the highest mountain here and inches on hiking trails that we would usually use.

Then, there is the gym. Did I tell you about the gym? They keep their air conditioning on all year. It is not intentional. The management has changed hands so often that they have lost living memory about managing the building. There is heat. I have felt it. But it takes a major initiative to get it on. Brrrrrrrr. Cold.

I suppose that I have to fess up and mention that the actual temperatures we are having may not mean much on a Northeastern or Canadian scale. The days are in the mid sixties and the nights are in the low forties. And, I have to admit that if you stand in the sun it can actually get hot.

But, I plead my case on the basis of physiology. There is a thermostat in the body and it resets itself to the norms the body experiences. We are coming off norms of temps over 100 and for a month, maybe, the nineties. This sudden plunge of 30-40 degrees is a body-shocker.

Still not convincing? Well you will have to take my word. It is fucking cold this week with no signs of relief and if it doesn't improve soon, I will have to be wearing long pants to the gym and maybe even outside during the day. That would really be crushing as I am a year 'round shorts wearer and I am not sure that my legs can stand the pressure of a cloth covering. Whine.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?