<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 28, 2004

GOIN' NUTS

This is the first time that I have seriously missed being in Boston. I would have liked to make contact with the insanity last night when the Sox won it in FOUR!

I can only imagine the honking, street screaming, rampant up and down craziness that must have burst from the breasts of people who were not even BORN when the Sox won the Series before. When was it? Forget it.

I have to tell you that I am not a baseball fan and only tepid as far as the Sox are concerned. I followed them up the ladder too many times and then fell off; or the ladder got moved while I was climbing. I am not good at the pursuit of losers. I will not even pretend to be too elated at the win and/or become a Monday morning faithful fan. That would be like our friend who won't put any Kerry stickers on his car unless Kerry wins!

On the other hand, I never lost my interest in the Sox organization. I liked the Yawkeys a lot; even if they were racist. Hey, none of us are perfect! But they were a family and they ran it that way. Fenway Park is there today ONLY because of them. There would be rubble pile and one of those tasteless monstrosities with a fake name. Some goddam corporate crap. I hate that.

Today's management of the Sox is no less fascinating than the players. I have been taken with the daring appointment of Theo Epstein as General Manager and the acquisition of the iconoclast Bill James to run the numbers. This is the handiwork of Larry Luchino, the team president and ceo. For a full rundown see the Times great rundown of Epstein and the new organization: A New-Age General Manager Helps End an Age-Old Curse.

Of course, we have to recognize the wisdom of the new owner. It is his money. They are now only second to the Yankees in annual operating cost. This stuff has always interested me more than what happens on the field.

When I was working in management training, I always wished for an assignment with a baseball team. I made some attempts but I never made it to 'the show'.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?