<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 15, 2004

SOS

I am just back from a weird and somehow exhilarating trip to the back yard. Franklin was fussing and had me go out with him--it is 415 AM and dark with beautiful bright stars. He went to the pool and there at the edge is a little mouse or baby rat struggling in the water. He fell in.

It is rather common for this to happen, but usually, we only find the little drowned bodies. Something clicked. Nearby was the scoop net we use to clean the pool. One hand with a flashlight and the other on the net, I scooped the little rat out of the water and dumped him out on dry land--on the other side of the fence. Let him start over in different territory.

I don't know why I saved him. We have spent some time killing the rats that got into the house but it seemed like the right thing to do. Like I said. Weird. And exhilarating.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?