<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

SCHOOL DAYS

This is by John who went to school with Franklin last week.

A few weeks ago, a friend asked if I could (or would) bring Franklin to show and tell at her class. She has ten "special ed" students. Earl and I talked it over; we had heard of visitor or therapy dogs before and had thought Franklin might qualify. We said OK and Franklin and I went to school!

The kids were seated in a little circle and we tried to do mannerly introductions but all 11 "kids" wanted to get on with things. It was a little confusing at first. The kids moved too fast. Franklin moved too fast. Kids pulled back. Franklin followed. John talked to Franklin and got a "Don't bug me, John." look back. Slowly we all settled down.

John sat cross-legged with Franklin lying across his lap. Jordan, who has steel teeth (don't ask), sat on John's shoulder and patted his head. Two little girls held Franklin's front paws. Kevin finally got close enough to touch Franklin's neck. Monica kept saying "john" and then forgetting.

It was wonderful. "What does he eat?" "Why does he bite?" "How old is he?" I doubt they understood that he was, in "dog years," their same age but they got that he was a kid too. Ryan asked if he did tricks and, when I said "No." wanted to know why not. I explained that Franklin was my friend, not my pet. "Would you ask your friend to do tricks?" He said no and smiled at the dog.

The twenty minutes was a moment and an eternity. We said good bye. Franklin was not happy that Michael was still staying away but accepted the other nine fans. We turned in our tag, got in the Jeep and came home.

My heart still overruns with the feeling. Shared love, outside all the boxes.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?