<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 21, 2004

READ/POST

I notice that when I am reading more, I am posting to the blog less. Of course, this makes perfect sense as two thoughts cannot occupy the brain at the same time and, anyway, it is hard to hold a book and type at the same time. I understand that some people are quite able to type one handed under certain circumstances particularly the net-wank one. In that case, the motivation and reward structure are much higher and I assume that the hand/mind continuum is more integrated. I have never tried this, of course, and only speak from the experience of others who have moved beyond live and video into more far reaching electronic wank-venues. They are kind enough to send messages back to those of us who stay behind keeping the home fires burning; as it were. But I digress.

I think that I am having an ebb and flow thing going on and that it is temporary. I have read stuff and blogged at a moderate pace all along; so, it is more accurate to say that I have been reading more than I had. This is a net result of the high quality of the reading I was doing as well as a deeper need to escape the current news and general atmosphere.

The Iraq stuff is very sad. The election is in a period of non-action until after the conventions (see below). While all may not be well in the universe of my current 'read', I know that things are under control and that there will not only be a beginning, but a middle and an end will follow. I can see this in the physical form of the book. If I am on page 256 of a 512 page novel I am at the middle. When I hit 512 I will be at the end. I guess the discouraging thing is that I see no end to the Iraq thing or the contention of the election. I do not even think we are close to the middle of either.

DUG OUT

When we left Boston, we felt a bit like refugees from the Big Dig. It was just starting and while it was not the factor that made us move, it certainly was a consideration. Now we hear from friends that the thing is almost over; the underground ways and bridges are open; the old elevated highway is being removed. In the midst of all this, we read today that the Demo Convention is going to take all this progress and put it at a dead standstill.

There will be no traffic on the 93 from 4pm to 1am, all the parking lots in the area of the Fleet Center will be closed; North Station under the Fleet will be closed; all the autos in the neighborhoods will be searched and sealed (or something). Isn't this insult to injury? Well I guess not actually. Boston has gotten billions of dollars from the Feds to do this thing so a few days of total inconvenience is not too big a price. Easy for me to say. We aren't there anymore. Good thing. If we were we would move.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?