<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

AGGRESSION

No one told us about this stage of dog development; the onset of aggression and hostility to evil doers. Up until now, Franklin has liked everyone indiscriminately; but recently, he has become more selective and flexible in his reactions. It began with the realization (his not mine--I knew this) that not every being you encounter wants to be friendly. Some are disinterested and a few are downright hostile; and we are not just talking about other dogs here. John and I have a typology for 'hostiles' and they invariably come as a package. The angry dog has an equally angry master or mistress. There are some (a local couple are famous for this) who mask their own shit or try to. They walk up all smiles and hellos--she not he, actually--the dog dragging them along with fangs bared. There is this attempt to quell the dog with words; failing that (always) the guy takes to beating the dog with the leash and screaming HEEL well after heeling is even possible. The poor dog has moved into pure instinct and is not available for commands.

Until recently, Franklin viewed this display as, perhaps bizarre; not anything to worry about. But the other night, he took a look at them coming at us and got in a new position; more of a squat than a lean. When the display of nastiness started, he hunched. At the 'right time' he lept and barked a really nasty counter-attack bark sequence. I had him by the leash. I am not insensitive. I had read the signals even though I never saw him do it before. He relaxed back on his butt. I said 'good dog, sit'. The other dog was going nuts. I said stay. Franklin stayed. The guy went nuts beating his dog with its leash hollering HEEL. No heel. Franklin did one more bark from the sitting position; then he and I got moving in the other direction; calmly and without haste.

This all feels satisfying to me somehow. Not that Franklin has ever come home and told us that the kids beat him up. But, he has been just a little too docile and innocent. Now, I think that if he is ever attacked or threatened, he can at least defend with a really loud deep bark. I am not sure about fisticuffs. That is a bit too rough. But talking loud; that is something I understand. As a confirmed sissy (when I was a kid of course, not now!); I defended with my mouth and only got in a fight once. I defended with a well placed block and the kid did not connect. That was it. One kid. One fight. One punch thrown. TKO. Undefeated. Retired from the ring. So we shall see what develops for our Franklin.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?