<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

TOP DOC

My doc opens the session with a hug. Yeh, I know. In the abstract I view it as a little wet too; but in the reality of the moment, it is not only a comfort but charming and a little sweet. A lot of friends complain about the impersonal and mechanical approach of their own Doc and his office. No such complaint here. A hug. Imagine.

It is a good thing mostly because, while we chit chat, we are there on serious business. Mine is to check on the status of my 7 year remission of prostate cancer and to be given a general once-over. There has to be some anxiety. It is quickly dissolved with the hug which is followed by competent professionalism. I suppose if the guy was a klutz and didn't seem to know dick about medicine, the hug would be less effective.

The other thing that I like is that our doc is a one man operation; not a group-practice which I think is the first step to medical hell. Groups have no heart. Groups want productivity. Groups promote de-personalization of everybody. Another plus is, like my dentist, my doc books to stay on time. No matter when you are scheduled to be seen, you will be seen at that time; period! Wow. I am not yet to the point of sayin' it is a total pleasure to get the once over but given the alternatives the setup could not be better.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?