<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, April 24, 2004

SEMI-COLONICS

There is a new punctuation book; (substitues for 'and' or 'that is') quite popular in the UK (no periods–my choice) called: (colon as I am about to name the book; it means 'herewith') Eats, Shoots, and Leaves (italics as I italicize titles of written material in the blog–I don't have a style-book; I use totally upper case for FILMS); (I think this semi provides a nice breath and subs for 'they are') her commas not mine. It is the kind of book which raises hackles to all who write. The NYTimes Book Review (I underline periodicals) guy is all aflame over the author's (possessive) eschewal of dashes.

I get anxious, at times, (subordinate clause, right?) over my extensive use of the semi-colon. The reviewer does not like semi-colons! (indicates shock and dismay) I should not have read this review; (something about a preposition) but my friend Lynda told me the book was good. She is in London. The reviewer says the book is filled with distracting Briticisms (a word I have just made up indicating a mix of jargon and wit, get it?). Well, Lynda is perpetually distracted with Briticisms by merely being American and living in London; (breathe) so it did not bother her.

Should I get the book and worry every piece I write; (another way of saying what I did in the first part, separated by a semi) sieze up with punctuational constipation? (rhetorical question) Or continue in happy intuitive use of all marks; (break) emphasizing and featuring the semi-colon; (another meaning) semi-colonics to loosen things up? (rhetorical do not answer) I think I will pass on the book. I learned touch typing when I was over 50. I don't think I am going to be able to learn proper punctuation at 67; (adverbial clause on its way) especially when the 'experts' (small quotes indicate irony) cannot agree on any of it. (Period; as I am done with the thought and the whole issue).


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?