<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

NIGHT SONG

The mockingbirds are ramping up for their spring songfest; which is to say that it is their mating time. We have the benefit of their day song all year; except for a few cold weeks in December, when they take a short trip south. In spring, they work the swing shift too!

Normally, birdsong is territorial: "I am here, you are there; let's keep it that way". When the juices flow, it is all about dating and the eventual love thing. With the mockers, the most attractive singer gets the first dance; and, what is more, he is most likely to succeed in taking his lady home and staying for breakfast. The girls are very demanding. I have watched a pair work at their negotiation for much of an afternoon. Interestingly, the female has no song. She just does a loud and disapproving squawk.

The guys work hard at it and practice a lot. When Franklin and I get up around 3 AM there are a one or two of them out there rehearsing. By the time we are out and back and getting set up in the house for our breakfast, they are all atwitter. And they are loud! I think our lights and noises get them started; and I have been known to throw a whistle or two into the mix. That can really get things going.

It has occurred to me that, if I do too much of that, I might find myself with a mockingbird girlfriend; but I do not think there is a risk. The guy's songs are very ornate; sometimes three, four and even five distinct phrases. It is original stuff. I assume that since the most musical dude wins the prize, the evolution of song skill has continued to grow with the generations. He who sings best sires the child. I could hardly approach that level of mocker-sophistication.

During the rest of the year, when things are more simple, the birds are susceptible to my whistles. I can get them to approximate my tune. They sometimes do this more accurately than the mynah bird down the street. S/he has a fairly fixed collection of set pieces which are learned over a long period and will improvise somewhat but only a small variation.

The mockingbird is a tough survivor. They can do the chase thing pretty well. I have seen a mockingbird oust a raven from its nest area. They are very aggressive. Franklin has learned that they are not at all intimidated by an airedale. They will wait for him to 'stalk' them and then just walk away. When he runs at them, they do a duck and dodge which is filled with cool detachment. They are uncatchable. No wonder they have lived so long and so well to have crafted the most beautiful songs. I can hear them now just jammin'. Tomorrow morning, we will get the concert.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?