<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

D.S.P.

A weird thing this morning. Franklin and I were walking along in the half light and, as usual, the going was a bit slow. He can see great in the early light, but I cannot. We got to the desert corner lot half a mile from here and he balked. I figured he was thinking of where to go next. That would be the usual balk-reason. I said 'which way' or something to that effect. He set out towards the Royal Sun Hotel; we had to cross the street. In the middle of the street he stopped; not a good idea even at 530 AM with so few cars. I urged him on. He balked again. I asked what was up. We did hear someone singing way out ahead; not loud; more like a drunk or homeless wanderer. I figured that was it.

Next thing, still mid-street, he turned around and started back to where we came from. Was he freaked out by the singing? What? Across the street and into the desert lot again. At this point I began to feel queasy. He started to go up Crestview. I followed him; let him take the lead. I began to have waves of intestinal distress. I was reluctant, even then, to return but it was obvious that he was heading back to the house. We weren't even retracing steps. We were taking the fastest route. Halfway to the house I lost it. I even lost his leash for a moment; he walked around me in circles. The episode passed and I got going again; Franklin with me. We got home and I went to get medicated, clean up and get changed. He would not leave me; standing tall, faced outward, feet firmly planted. By this time John was up, and the situation passed. He broke the defense pose when John showed up.

It is only in retrospect that I realized he began acting 'on alert' even before I 'got' that I was sick. It is very interesting. John says that if they know there is going to be an earthquake; or get freaky before a storm; why wouldn't they pick up that something is wrong with their closest buddy? Well, I would say so; but what if the buddy doesn't even have half a clue there is something wrong with himself? I dunno. Another anecdote to add to the mystery library and a story to tell about our great new friend Franklin; who may be able to look after us even when we are not doing a very good job at it ourselves.

Yeh, I know; what we used to call 'high woo woo' stuff. DSP. DoggySensoryPerception. I have some ESP myself. Not 48 hours before, a grandson had shown up in the kitchen with me at 4AM with the same malady. Maybe Franklin diagnosed the virus as contagious and made a calculated projection of the time that I would get the same thing. Of course, then that would be high woo woo too! (heh heh). Only in that case ExtraDoggyRationality. Whatever. Like I said, a new Franklin story; something to bore people with at the fireside when I get to be one of those old codgers who repeat the same stories over and over.

Oh. The picture. You do remember Iron Maiden don't you?


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?