<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

ARTHUR(1981)

Today's Movie; NYTimes1000Best; a funny-drunk story (some are, I hear); Oscar to John Gielgud for his role as the butler. Let's put it this way, the butler did it. Without JG, this film would have been a little horror.

At best, Dudley Moore is an acquired taste which I never acquired; Lisa Minnelli appears with tons of makeup and all the moves from CABARET; no chemistry between them. It is not on the new NYTimesBest list. My guess is that time took its toll. The 80's were a lot like this picture. I kept thinking Richy Rich.

The film does has its moments; I laughed and I got a little maudlin here and there; but now I am sort of ashamed to admit it. I watched it to the end out of duty. I decided not to cop out using the new list as an excuse. The policy is: no skipping, no pause button and no copping out. I rate it a 2 on the Netflix5 and, if it was not for Sir John, it would be a 1.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?