<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 17, 2004

THREE

Yesterday, a filling fell out in the morning and the spa heater did not go on in the evening. That is two things. I am waiting for the third. Bad things come in threes. My Dad forced this basic law into me. As a fundamental optimist, this goes against my grain. Yet, through repetition, he confirmed this theory over and over again bringing the speculative into the realm of natural law. "See, I told you. There it is. The THIRD THING" "Yes, Dad". I did not realize that there are enough 'things' that finding three and packaging them was a fairly easy exercise. Perhaps, bundling into threes makes life a bit more manageable. Nevertheless, I digress.

The filling is not a problem. I already have an appointment to scrunch it back in. I do not think that the spa is any big deal either; but I need to wait until Monday to call Frank the pool man. I do not want to ruin his weekend with this alarming news. He might be working on his own three things.

No. The problem is waiting for the third thing to happen. It puts me on edge. When will it happen? What will it be? How will I respond? Will I be brave and accepting or craven and whiny over whatever eventuality awaits?

And so on.

SPALESS

Finding cool water in one's spa when hot is expected is not too serious on the scale of things that can happen. Given the state of the world, it is a bit whiny-like to even mention it. Nevertheless, it is a dislocation to routine; to find that immersion in hot water is not an option for this, or even the next several, nights.

Habits die hard. I left the spa to itself (after several futile stabs at the heater switch--as one does with an elevator button that will not immediately arrive). I simply continued with the nightly ritual; on to the chaise and the starwatch.

Every night we look for shooters--falling stars--meteorites coming into the atmosphere--and are almost always rewarded. As we wait, we pet Franklin who mostly sits quietly between the two chaises. It is his bedtime too. We are all settling down.

Up to last night, I had assumed that the hot water was the key element in getting quiet and sleepy and all; ready for the night. Not so. A star watch (no shooters) and a dog petting seemed to fit the bill nicely. I was asleep before my head hit the pillow. Maybe we could save on some gas money if we.........no. I will call Frank Monday.

SOLO

You will note that we closed the day as two family members. This is the 8th day of the PS FILM FESTIVAL and John is still away from home most of the time. He has had a good week and hard at it; seeing as many as 5 and 6 movies a day. I know. The mind reels.

On the home front, we have been having a good time keeping up the routine (Franklin and I LOVE routine--just keep-on keepin'-on please). It is only a trial at those times when a two-daddy dog needs normal energy and attention from only one daddy but since John has been walking him in the AM and has a reasonable amount of snuggle and play time before he leaves, it is not too bad.

It is nice to have a vacation. I travelled for years so we were never all together all the time until I retired. Then, we hit that moment of reality that most retiring couples hit: "My god we are going to be alone together 24/7!". In the first year I took two three or four day trips to the desert just to be radically alone.

Over time, we have worked things out so that we have respite. As it turns out, John is the guy who goes and I am the home and hearth partner. Now, home and hearth includes dog time and, as it turns out, special alone time with the pooch is a very special treat. He is a great guy all the time and when things are a little off and different he gets a bit closer and nicer. We have had a great time.

This can only go on for awhile though. We will be glad to be three again in the next three days. The Festival is dwindling and the best of the best will be shown Monday and we will back to as normal as it gets around here at any time.

HEY COULD THIS BE THE THREE? THREE DAYS-THREE GUYS?

Maybe it does not have to be a BAD thing; maybe just a BIG thing.

When I was looking for an image about 'three' I found this one. Irresistible.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?