<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, December 13, 2003

CHATTIN' IT UP:

I have two new tech-breakthroughs this year. I am a blogger--look at mmmmeeeee! And, I am a chatter!

I am the communications marvel of the 21st Century.

When I got my eMac, it had this iChatAV hardware on it and "nothing would do" but being ON it....not me talkin' here but son Dave and friend Todd. There was a lot of nagging.

So I signed up. My tag is 'erlstan'. I use the AIM Instant Messaging ISP offered through AOL. You can sign up too. Just go to

AIM Instant Messaging Center

It is free and you do not have to belong to AOL.

It is fun. I have chat buddies! Dave and Todd (for sure); Paul and Tom Rose along with our friend Marty who I stumbled into one night while I was 'available'. She sent me an email at the same time I was on and the connection connected. Apparently, if I send an email to a chat person there is a bell that goes off or something and we are linked or whatever. I don't get that part.

Boy, am I glad that I taught myself to touch type (when I was in my fifties too) with Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. My fingers fly; chatting away with the other fingers on line. AND you can do threesomes too but, as in the other applications of threesomes, it does not work out very well. There is always someone left out.

Now on top of the typing type of chat, we have added VIDEO! The new Apple iChatAV (and a 150 dollar camera/firewire hookup) uses the same AIM system. It is hard at first getting over the techno shock of SEEING the person you are talking too. Yeh, I have a phone but this is V-I-D-E-O ! But, we have gotten used to it.

As in the type-type of chat, it seems hard to say goodbye with this medium. We have learned to decisively and, if need be, cruelly QUIT when the time comes and let it go.

Everyone can type-chat. Not everyone can video. The question of compatibility between iChatAV (MAC system for video and audio instant messaging) and PC based systems has been answered definitively in this month's MacWorld.

There ISN'T any compatibility.

If I am MAC (I am) and you are MAC we can see and talk to each other. If you are PC, we cannot INTERACT.

BUT: you could see me if I video-ed (apparently) but no audio. There is a funny way that it can be done; but why would you? Well, hard times create strange needs or the satisfaction threshold goes down. Maybe it would be good to see me whilst we type.

Evidently AOL (AIM) is working on a cross program setup; but, in the meantime we are stuck yet again with the incompatibility of the two systems. Someday, Steve and Bill will sit down and work this out.

So give it a try! You could be a chat buddy. Just get the software free from AIM and try it out.

I am erlstan. You ......?

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?